Stuff White People Like

Stuff White People Like

The Definitive Guide to the Unique Taste of Millions

Book - 2008
Average Rating:
Rate this:
They love nothing better than sipping free-trade gourmet coffee, leafing through the Sunday New York Times , and listening to David Sedaris on NPR (ideally all at the same time). Apple products, indie music, food co-ops, and vintage T-shirts make them weak in the knees.

They believe they're unique, yet somehow they're all exactly the same, talking about how they "get" Sarah Silverman's "subversive" comedy and Wes Anderson's "droll" films. They're also down with diversity and up on all the best microbrews, breakfast spots, foreign cinema, and authentic sushi. They're organic, ironic, and do not own TVs.

You know who they are: They're white people. And they're here, and you're gonna have to deal. Fortunately, here's a book that investigates, explains, and offers advice for finding social success with the Caucasian persuasion. So kick back on your IKEA couch and lose yourself in the ultimate guide to the unbearable whiteness of being.


"The best of a hilarious Web site: an uncannily accurate catalog of dead-on predilections. The Criterion Collection of classic films? Haircuts with bangs? Expensive fruit juice? 'Blonde on Blonde' on the iPod? The author knows who reads The New Yorker and who wears plaid."
-Janet Maslin's summer picks,

" The author of "Stuff White People Like" skewers the sacred cows of lefty Caucasian culture, from the Prius to David Sedaris. . . . It gently mocks the habits and pretensions of urbane, educated, left-leaning whites, skewering their passion for Barack Obama and public transportation (as long as it's not a bus), their idle threats to move to Canada, and joy in playing children's games as adults. Kickball, anyone?"

"A handy reference guide with which you can check just how white you are. Hint: If you like only documentaries and think your child is gifted, you glow in the dark, buddy."
-NY Daily News
Publisher: New York : Random House Trade Paperbacks, c2008.
ISBN: 9780812979916
Characteristics: 211 p. :,ill. ;,24 cm.


From the critics

Community Activity


Add a Comment
Feb 04, 2013

The title is way too broad. The author includes 150 entries of what he believes 'white' people like. In actuality about 75% of the entries describe things hipsters like. The other 25% could be more generally applied to things that middle to upper-middle class Americans like. This is much more about class and a certain sub-culture of white culture (ie. hipsters). For example, the author asserts that white people hate Republicans, hate corporations, like 'Knowing What's Best for Poor People', like 'Threatening to Move to Canada, like natural childbirth, and like Free Health Care.

Dec 16, 2009

Ridiculously funny and scarily accurate. If you are white or know any white people, it will make you laugh. And no, it's not racist to make fun of white people...look at history, people. Fabulous!

Dec 14, 2009

Funny, yet has sparked many discussions between my family and I about whether or not this is blatant racism. Would it be ok if it were about any other race?

loonylovesgood Dec 02, 2009

One of the most hilarious books I've ever read. I definitely thought to myself "how true!" when reading several of the entries. I especially like the passage on rock-climbing...reminds me of someone I once knew!

Sep 24, 2009

really funny and scarily on point. Though the same effect would be achieved with a similar book about any culture.

Sep 08, 2009

hilarious and spot-on!

Age Suitability

Add Age Suitability

There are no age suitabilities for this title yet.


Add a Summary

There are no summaries for this title yet.


Add Notices

There are no notices for this title yet.


Add a Quote

There are no quotes for this title yet.

Explore Further

Browse by Call Number


Subject Headings


Find it at Library

To Top